Thursday, October 28, 2010

DELFT

Delft is the home of Jan Vermeer, (Girl w/ a pearl earring) one of my favorite artists.  Our first day in Holland, Erica and I spent the afternoon in Delft. 

We walked around and then took a canal boat tour.

Here is a picture of one of the tour boats

This is a picture of the view from the boat.
To give you perspective of how deep in the canal the boat sat.

The following pictures I took on the canal tour.

This is the back of the Armoury.


In 1842 the Dutch state established a royal academy for engineers and colonial civil servants, the Koninklijke Academie voor Ingenieurs en Indische Ambtenaren. Its purpose was to educate and prepare civil servants for service in the colonial government.


In 1864 this academy was replaced by an educational institute, the Indische Instelling, which specialised in Indonesian languages, geography and ethnology.

Students attended lessons in diverse Indonesian languages (Malay, Javanese and Sundanese) and in history, ethnology, law and land surveying.

This building I took a picture of just because I loved the windows & the cast iron work.

Here is the lower level of the Library

Church...


Here is a picture of the houses & cars along the canal. They said they lose several cars a year into the canal. Notice there isn't much space between the car & the edge!

The keg on wheels is almost bigger then the old mini cooper.

I took this picture while Erica & I were walking around. Nothing like jumping out your back door for a quick swim!
This shop is in the main market.  It's one of many that sells delftware.
The blue pottery that Holland is famous for.

Delftware

No comments:

Post a Comment